Monday, March 26, 2007

Keep going

I took this photograph last weekend at Consuegra where we went to observe the night sky, just for fun, as we used to do. I'm sure you don't need to be told that Polaris and Ursa Major are the start on the left and the constellation on the right side. And that's why I am not telling you ;-)

Anyway, the interesting thing for me here is the effect of the Earth rotation movement. Polaris is said to be in the Earth rotation axis prolongation (it is also said this will change with time, a lot of time indeed). But, by now, for us, it can be considered a fixed point in the sky: the north point which remains a point in the picture regardless of rotation. Every other star appears as rotating around Polaris, despite the truth is we are the ones rotating. I almost can imagine I see the Earth from outside.

1 comment:

Amayita said...

A ver si avisamos!