Friday, May 25, 2007

Religion

I have always had a strange feeling about religion and finally a friend of mine put down in words that impression: "religion sets a backdoor in your mind".

I think that truly describes what I think. Religion is a kind of people control method as it stands some precepts you don't need to think about anymore. I don't mean religion is bad or of no use at all. Indeed, as Pancho pointed out, it is very useful for that people who in fact doesn't want to evaluate their principles. For those people, religion and control by fear is quite good as far as those precepts are fair (and not misunderstood or interpreted in own profit). For me it works just as inspiration. Some times about how to act. Some others about how I shouldn't. But in all cases, I try to choose my own way of living after a thoughtful evaluation.

One example of this is baptism. Its (supposed) original meaning was related with spiritual recleaning and rebirth, mostly for adult people who are the ones who really may need that kind of recleaning before embrace Christian cult by their own decision. Nowadays, baptism is done on infants who hardly can need any clean nor recleaning and of course have not taken any decision. Despite, by custom, some people believe by baptism they are educating their childrens. Weird.

No comments: